Sunday, May 17, 2009

New job tomorrow

Hello, Gentle Readers. I have recovered (mostly) from my intense reaction to Boyfriend's leaving for the summer. I'm sure after a while we'll get the phone date thing worked out, and I'll be back to my normal cheery self.

But, in other news, I start my summer job at Judge's office tomorrow. As such, I was trying on my dress clothes ... and wouldn't you know? Even though I haven't lost any weight by the scale since I last tried on my suit pants, they are noticeably looser. Previously they were just a tad too tight, and were uncomfortable to sit in. Now, they fit almost-loosely.

This means I have gained muscle! And that yoga has done a good job at toning up my flabby body. :) I'm planning on keeping it up at 4 or 5 times a week at the studio over the summer. Hopefully I'll be a shadow of my former self when school starts in the fall.

To that end, I have started the "simple and easy meals" part of my summer. I have already packed the leftovers from my dinner for lunch tomorrow. I made a low-fat, low-sodium chicken and musthroom soup bake with brown rice. I will steam some broccoli in the morning, and maybe take half an apple or a small bunch of grapes for lunch.

In an unrelated tangent: I hate that Clerk (my direct boss for the summer) has told me that the office is "casual." How confusing! It's a business office, and that of a Judge, so surely it is not truly casual? I went in for my interview in a button-down and black suit pants, and felt a little too dressy. Tomorrow I'm planning on new blue and white striped cotton trousers from Old Navy (from a distance they look gray) and a short-sleeved blouse. I have a non-suit pencil skirt, some black pants, and a few cardigans and blouses that I was planning on wearing -- do these sound appropriate? Any of you highly successful ladies out there have any recommendations for me in this area? Prior to this job, I've either worked retail or been a lab tech, as I was in college. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to sound cliche, but I firmly believe that you should dress for the job you want. Even if they're casual, meaning jeans, I would still go with your planned look. I'm business casual at the bank, and I'm a big fan of tailored wide-leg pants and twin sets or cute tailored sweaters. Polished. Classic. Good luck. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Colby on this one. "Casual" is a slippery slope to stirrup pants and white sneakers.

    Wear things that you feel comfortable working in. In a workplace (and I would define this as all workplaces with the exception of the TMZ offices) are not a place for revealing, loud, political or tight muffin top creating clothing.

    Slacks, skirts, khakis can all be dressed up and down -- summer is great because you can do button up shirts (short & long sleeve) and a whole lot of knits.

    If you're feeling good about your arms, or even if you aren't, there are loads of things you can do with sleeveless shirts - knit or otherwise. A nice cardigan or shrug can easily make it more dressy and/or more office appropriate, or save you from the A/C if it's blasting.

    Old Navy has got some fantastic casual office wear and it's totally price appropriate.

    Tim Gunn reminds us that every woman needs 9 (i think?) essential pieces in her wardrobe:
    -A crisp white dress shirt
    -A black dress
    -A pair of black dress pants
    -A trenchcoat
    -A skirt
    -A pair of casual pants (can be khaki type or jeans)
    and three other things I can't remember ...

    I would say keep getting creative, and you can make your statements with accessories - nice necklaces, bracelets and brooches can turn a white shirt into a statement!

    HAVE FUN and keep us posted on progress!

    ReplyDelete