Saturday, May 23, 2009

Um, I lied?

Got on the scale this morning to 195.5.

I imagine it will level out there, as I'm nearing the end of "that time of the month" and my body is going back to normal, not retaining water and bloating like one of those big cartoon balloons in parades.

it was a very WTF moment, though. I cheated last night and ate french fries (from whole foods - they're salt and rosemary fries ... mmmm!), and this morning I'm .5lb lighter.

The gods truly have a sense of humor.

Other new foods on review this week: Bumble Bars (again, found at Whole Foods). I'm looking for new snack bar. I've tried the Fiber One bars, but they've got HFCS in them, and ... well, I still eat them (or the generic version), but I still think it's good to give my body more natural ingredients.

I looked at Cliff Bars, and while they looked REALLY yummy, they're pretty carby even for a granola type bar. I'm just not to that stage yet. :)

So, these bars. They're about the size of a Hersey chocolate bar. They're organic, gluten-free, and vegan. Not that those last two matter much to me personally, but these bars can fit into most diets. I bought three kids: Original flavor, Chocolate, and Hazelnut.

I was super hungry on the way out of the store, so I tried the orginial -- it was good! It's not like a typical granola bar in that it's not super sweet. It was very flax-y, and very yummy. It filled me up, has 17g carbs, 5g fiber, and 6g protein.

The downside: they're fatty and calorie-rich. Of 230 calories, 140 are fat calories. So this won't be something I'm chowing down on all the time, but as I don't eat granola-y things very often anymore, it's probably still an OK option for breakfast in the morning, if I'm mindful of my fat intake for the rest of the day.

I also picked up some Amy's burritos. I know they're not the best option in the entire world, but dammit, I miss burritos, and I love Amy's. I made sure to pick the ones that were less-bad for me, and I'll make sure to have a salad, etc when I eat one.

And, this morning, because I didn't realize yoga was cancelled for Memorial Day, I tried out a cafe near the studio for breakfast. It's this really cute French-inspired crepe shop. I got a multi-grain crepe with egg and turkey sausage and this light cream sauce. It came with a little salad topped with two mandarin orange slices. Very yummy! I may have to try to make something similar at home sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Clif Bars are like meal replacement bars. They should not be eaten as a snack. They should be eaten as a meal, or used right before an intense calorie burning workout (at least 1 hour of cardio or 45 minutes of serious, intense resistance training).

    Kashi's bars are GREAT for snacks and have a lot of whole grain and fiber. I like the pumpkin spice TLCs (tasty little crispies) and the cherry and dark chocolate, and the cranberry almond kind. they have them at most grocery stores now, as well as at Whole Foods. I also like taking a serving of kashi cereal as a crunchy snack - it's less carb dense than granola, but still has the fiber and protein punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification, Mar! The nutrition information makes a ton more sense now. :)

    And yes, I LOOOVE the Kashi bars as well.

    ReplyDelete