Friday, July 17, 2009

Why weekends (and booze) are necessary:

It has been one of those days.

You know the ones. They're the kind where you wake up 20 minutes late, and realize you have nothing clean that's appropriate for work. You don't have time to pack a healthy lunch. You forget an umbrella, and halfway to work it starts pouring.

Etc.

But I think what really got me today was my meeting with the career counselor. You see, dear readers, Five wants to get one of those job things next summer after her second year of law school. She wants one that pays cash money. So, she made an appointment with the highly ineffective career services office at her law school.

Enough of the third person stuff.

Anyway, this woman, while meaning well, was completely ineffective. She tried to tell me that I should not consider Boyfriend in my search, because it was unlikely that it would "work out." And she attempted to tell me that while my GPA is in the range for on campus interviews, I am unlikely to find a paid job this summer. Even though I'm well within the top 20% of the class, and am probably closer to the top 15%. Everything I have heard from others has been contrary to this information. But she seemed to think that I was somehow destined to fail. Very encouraging. From the same office that told us that "oh, there won't be any jobs out there for 1Ls this summer." And lo and behold, we're all employed.

Needless to say, I was pissed. I waited 20 minutes for her to actually show up to the meeting, and when she finally did arrive she spent the entire time telling me to "not expect too much." Evidently a paycheck is "too much." To add insult to rudeness and injury, she dared to criticize my priorities, questioning my dedication to school and being a lawyer since I'm considering someone else's needs when making my employment decisions.

I won't be going back to that particular counselor anytime soon.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go for a run with Boyfriend. Since he's in town this weekend, I have a running buddy for nighttime runs again.

1 comment:

  1. I've read those same stories about the career center on other law blogs. Bummer. And weekends and booze are two of life's pleasures.

    ReplyDelete